Sunday, April 28, 2013

Yoga for strength for hypermobile people

Practiced Jason Crandall's Yoga for Strength class on YogaGlo. It was only 60 minutes long but I left a puddle of sweat on my yoga mat. I like how the postures are not super "advanced" (ie. no crazy arm balances, no pretzel moves, no handstands, no headstands), but all my major muscles got a good work out. I need strength and support in my muscles more than flexibility now so I am happy to practice yoga sequences that do not require me to twist into a pretzel. Even for this class I realized afterwards I need to further reduce the amount of hip openers than what was offered in this class (3 legged dog with the lifted knee bent and opening chest to the sky).

Yah, so for the hyper mobile me: minimal hip openers, lots of chair poses, lots of planks/side planks/push ups, lots of lunges; less twists, crazy forward folds, pigeon pose. I still love backbends but gotta be careful of neck and low back. Have to be so careful about hyper flexible joints. I'm not injured, but my body doesn't like me if I take one of those free style vinyasa classes with a million hip openers and too many fast vinyasas (low back crunch in upward facing dogs).

I also really really need to do more cardio. Spring hiking every weekend for me!



3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! If I ever take a teacher training I will definitely focus more of my blog posts for hypermobile (ie. bendy) yogis. Not taking any yoga classes now, so my information are a little limited.

      Delete
  2. One of most equivalent and relaxing skills you can do is to run-through yoga at home. Nothing like attending yoga trainings, learning how to do yoga is a ideal selection of lots of.

    Those who have knowledge of how to do yoga at home can prove to the wonderful benefits it brings. Imagine that feeling of comfort and privacy of being able to manage your own regimen - it’s truly astounding!

    ReplyDelete